Students to perform in All-State concert Saturday

All State qualifiers.
All State qualifiers.
Three Duncanville High School student musicians have been selected to the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA) 2013-2014 All-State Band. Seniors Jazmin Yuen (clarinet) for the third consecutive year, Daniel Lynge (baritone saxophone), and Kameron Barrett (bass clarinet) will perform in a concert with other All-State musicians at the annual TMEA Conference in San Antonio on Saturday, Feb. 15.

“To put it simply, this honor just means the world to a musician,” Lynge said.

Barrett said that making it to this level is something he has looked forward to all through high school.

“At the beginning of the year I wrote down everything I wanted to accomplish, the last thing I wanted to do was become and all stater and I knew it would be an incredible challenge and I knew if I didn’t get it I would understand,” Barrett said. “This is pretty much just like the last thing I wanted to do. My greatest accomplishment in band.”

Barrett said making it to this level takes a lot of practice. He admits every chance he has he practices to become better.

“If I wasn’t doing anything in a class I would ask to go to the band hall to practice,” Barrett said. “I think what set me apart since everyone was practicing. Becoming an All-Stater is more so a battle of who wants to make it and how much they want it.”

Band director Jeff King said making it to an All-State level is the ultimate experience for those in the band. He said students get an opportunity to work with some of the best musicians in the state.

“It’s an experience that I wish all our kids could have but they can’t unless they make All-State,” King said. “It’s one of the coolest things for them to be down in San Antonio next to a kid that’s from West Texas or North Texas that is one of the very best at their instrument. They get to work with people who are internationally known composers and directors that work with them for about six hours a day.”

Thirteen students advanced to area from the Duncanville band and had an opportunity to audition to make it to All-State.

“It’s great that there were more students making it to area than last year. We push every year to try to get more kids to make area,” King said. “We were pleased that we had 13 which is 1 more than what we had previous year. We had several students that are one or two chairs away from making it. It’s very,very competetive.”

The ones who made it to All-State recognize the opportunity and embrace it to become better musicians.

“It makes me want to do more , receiving this honor, it really makes me think how much an All-Stater has to practice.” Yuen said.

Although making it to contest for Barrett is an accomplishment he admits that everyone who makes it has one goal in mind.

“Everyone is coming together just wanting to make beautiful music,” Barret said.