Library encourages reading through out-of-the-box activities

When students check out a book they leave the library with a fake mustache to celebrate today’s holiday. Stop by and get your book. (Josephine Xayyaraj photo)

When students check out a book they leave the library with a fake mustache to celebrate today's holiday. Stop by and get your book. (Josephine Xayyaraj photo)
In honor of National Mustache Day, the library is hosting an event where they “mustache you to check out a book.” Students who check out a book today are awarded with a free stick-on mustache.

Librarian Blanca Patlan said this is just one of the many activities going on in the library right now.

“We’re just finishing up ‘Blind Date with a Book’,” Patlan said. “We’re also dressing up as hippies for the juniors’ research projects.”

The library will also be hosting it’s second annual “March Madness: Battle of the Books” competition beginning this week. Kids can nominate up to five of their favorite books. Librarians will pick the top 32 for students to vote on until eventually one is chosen as the best.  Every time they vote, their name will be entered in a drawing.

“It’s really fun because it ties in with our culture,” Patlan said.

Patlan said the  library’s  goal is to draw more people into the library.

“We ultimately want more people reading,” Patlan said. “We want them to become life-long readers.”

To learn about more library events and be entered in upcoming contest join the library on Twitter