Pantherettes head to Austin in hopes of bringing a 3 Peat back to Duncanville

Pantherette head coach Cathy Self-Morgan shares a winning moment with her seniors on the bench at the end of their 70-29 blowout over LD Bell in the Region 1 Finals game. (Olivia Davila photo)

Today the  Pantherettes are heading back to Austin to compete in the State tournament for the third year in a row.  They are headed  there riding a 104-0 record and with the senior duo of Tasia Foman and Ariel Atkins who been with the Panterettes since the first state win in the 2011-12 season. Atkins and Foman, who both are highly ranked players according to ESPN will head into Austin this weekend in hopes of bringing home yet another trophy.

"I'm always extremely excited to go to state each year" Atkins said. "I love playing with my team and hopefully we can bring home a trophy for my senior year."

The seniors on this team play a key role in motivating the younger players who have never been to the Championship game. One of their jobs will be to show the younger generation how to perform in such a big game.

"The young ones that have never been will have to get over 'the deer in the headlights' look and relax and play," Panhterette head coach Self-Morgan said. "The seniors will need to take the bricks off their shoulders and have fun and just play that Pantherette ball!"

Self-Morgan is quite familiar with the state atmosphere since she been there multiple times before. This is her fourth time with Duncanville and she also led Westlake to 3 state championships in a 22 year stand there. One of those came over Duncanville in 1996. Duncanville later hired her and here she is in her 35th year of coaching looking to lead the Panterettes to their third straight title and 8th overall title.

"I am thrilled and excited to extend our season to the last day you can practice and play games," Self-Morgan said.  "I love these kids. I just don't want it to end."

There has been a lot of hard work and practice put into this season so the girls are hoping to come home victorious. Self-Morgan these girls practice and play with high energy every game that they've encountered this season. Unfortunately this season is coming to an end this weekend as play to go big or go home.

"I'm sad to think about this being the end of our season." Self-Morgan said. "I do not want it to end!!"