Personal Column: Loss of friend inspires passion for life

Staff writer Franklin Mejia
Staff writer Franklin Mejia
Staff writer Franklin Mejia

I’ve been through a couple of things.

Bullying.

Anxiety Attacks.

Depression. The list goes on and on.

Even so, I still go on with my life.

The reason I’m mentioning this is because recently a friend of mine had committed suicide.

The truth is, him and me weren’t that close of friends. The only reason we ever talked to begin with was because of a mutual friend. And even then, in the few times we actually did see each other, the amount of words that we shared was an extremely low amount.

Even so, it pains my entire soul, knowing that I was of no help to him.

We didn’t talk, we didn’t go out of our way to see each other, honestly, we barely knew each other past our first name.

But still. It was completely unexpected. Whenever we saw him, he always seemed happy. He was always smiling and cracking jokes, he even went out of his way to help others. So all I could do was ask questions after it happened.

Why? What drove him so far? Why didn’t he tell anyone?

Why? Why? Why?

I looked for answers. But I gave up. No one knew why, and no on could make a single connection.

Then I started putting some of the blame myself.

I started asking myself. Why didn’t you notice? Why didn’t you talk to him.

Constant What If’s filled my head. What if I talked to him more? What if he told someone about what was going on. What If, What If.

That’s when I realized. Having What If’s in your head isn’t going to help anyone.

Yeah, it’s sad and disheartening. But in the end, it’s just a result of this cruel society we live in. We are the ones criticizing others. We are the ones that degrade others in order to build ourselves up. So instead of the disregarding the feeling’s of others, why not try helping them instead? Be friendly, help others out, make some sort of effort to help others. Maybe that way, things like this wont’ happen. Maybe people will stop ending their life on something temporary. But unless we actually go out and do it, it’ll always stay as a maybe.

I urge everyone that f you yourself are contemplating suicide, or if anybody you know is thinking about it, actually, even if you don’t know them. They could be a total stranger, you may hate them with a passion, whatever your relationship to them is, it doesn’t matter. If you know that someone is debating with himself or herself about whether or not to commit the act.

I beg of you.

Don’t turn a blind eye. Don’t pretend it never happened. Do something.

Suicide helps no one. It doesn’t make anything better. It doesn’t solve problems. It doesn’t provide comfort for others.

Please.

Help others. Encourage them, tell them that there’s someone who they can talk to. Tell them about all the national help organizations that try to prevent all of this.

Or if not, then help them yourselves.

Suicide is a permanent solution for a temporary problem.

Be smart.

Don’t do it.

(Click Here, for a link to all the hotlines available for any situation. Please don’t hesitate to use it.)