Atkins selected to play for USA 18U Olympic team

Ariel Atkins takes a fall in the lane against Manvil after being called for her fourth foul of the night in the 56-51 loss. (Karla Estrada photo)
    When the phone rang last week for senior basketball player Ariel Atkins the news he heard from the caller added just another accolade to her final year as a high school basketball player. She was one of the 12 girls to be selected as part of the USA National U18 team that will compete against other countries in the world games this summer at the Colorado Olympic Training Center.

“I was extremely nervous when they were calling out the names.” Atkins said. “My last name starts with an A so I knew I’d either be called first or not at all. Thankfully I made the team.”

Atkins had to try out to obtain a position on the team. Though she was nervous about making it,she admits she put in a lot of practice time before and after school to make sure she would be giving it her all.

“I practiced a lot for this opportunity, I was not sure if I’d make the team but I had to give it my all.” Atkins said.

Atkins’ high school coach Cathy Self-Morgan says she is extremely proud of this accomplishment and all that Atkins has been able to do with the sport they both love.

“Not only is Ariel Atkins a phenomenal basketball player but she is an outstanding young lady with strong leadership skills and character,” Self-Morgan said. “No one realizes how hard she works in basketball, on her grades, at being a good friend and daughter, at everything she does in life. She tirelessly strives to be the very best on the court and off and give back to others along the way.We are so proud!”

Atkins begins training for the games in late July and starts competing on Aug. 6.

“I’m excited.” Atkins said. “It’s going to be a great experience and I have a lot of support from my family, friends and coaches. I can’t wait to get out there and play.”