Meghan Trainor gets people shaking and moving with “All About that Bass”

Meghan Trainor gets people shaking and moving with  All About that Bass
images
Cover for Megan Trainor’s hit “All About That Bass”.

Meghan Trainor’s debut hit “All About that Bass” has not just hit the No. 1 spot on the Billboard charts but also many people with her infectious beat.  As you could infer from the title, Trainor does sing in “Bass,” which mixes its moral with a satisfyingly complex, tropical, and retro-R&B/Motown blend.  The backup singers also create an echo effect that harmonies with Trainor’s vocals, and emphasizes parts of the lyrics of the song. Trainor sings in the key bass, that really emphasizes her vocals, which helps to create more strength to her voice. As she sings high notes in the chorus, her voice sounds very raspy but is still strong.

The song has an infectious beat that you can’t get out of your head. The beat helps the song create its strong tone. The message of the song with inspirational lyrics defining self-esteem, reminds us to love our bodies and not let the media define what beauty is. As Trainor says “I’m here to tell you every inch of you is perfect from the bottom to the top!” Megan Trainor’s No.1 hit is different, but not original. The message of saying not to care what other people think about you, and to love your body, has been used for many songs, but the song does have its own personality and unique traits. In the beginning Trainor sings “ I’m all about that bass, ‘Bout that bass, no treble” and if you know a little bit of music theory, you would know that she is talking about the bass clef (the big round one) and the treble clef (the stereotypical one) creating irony.

The song overall was self- motivating and persuasive in promoting is message. It had a great bass and tune, but not a message of originality. That’s what I would like to see Trainor sing a song with an original message, but overall the techniques, beats, and quality created the uniqueness lacking in the lyrics.