Spirit section boosts morale for football team

Some students take their spirit to a completely different level with body and face paint, props, and signs. (Karla Estrada photo)

“I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN! I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!!!” the chant rings through the crowd of students bunched together in their section of the stands at the football game. Enthusiasm is doused on their painted faces as they await their team’s next move. The drizzle coming down from the sky and the chill of the weather seem to have no impact on the students as they continue the tradition of cheering and betting, on services like Ladbrokes Near Me, on their team at home games.

Though the students in The Section aren’t playing a game, they have an impact on the game. The football players are grateful for their support.

“It feels amazing to have them [The Section] cheering us on,” varsity defensive tackle Alex Medina said. “It motivates us to strive harder to obtain the win especially when the game is neck and neck.”

Previous to this year, the student section has been unsubstantial but with the increased spirit, the section has grown in size.

“The Student Section has become a great success, greater than we expected,” senior vice-president April Alonso said.

Student Council plans to expand “The Section” because of the amount of spirited students present at each game. They also hope to bring their spirit to other sporting events.

“A couple of fellow classmates and I have plans on making a “BluCru” which is a spirit squad that will try and attend every event,” Alonso said.

Alonso uses different spirit night themes, such as Neon or Blackout Night, to make the games more entertaining and create a sense of unity.

“Since our school spirit has skyrocketed, we thought it’d be a great idea to apply theme days that we gather from our workshops and conferences we go to,” Alonso said. “With the help of other schools we come up with great ideas.”

The Section is about more than just outfits and cheers. It’s about the players on the field.

“They are making sure that us, the football players, are never alone,” varsity right tackle Kevin Quaison said. “Whether we’re down by 30 points or up by 6, they have our backs and THEY BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN.”