Pantherettes set to appear in 5A State Championship game, win big in semi-finals

By Taylor Harris, Panther Prints editor

Senior Empress Davenport guards Cypres Falls top player in the 64-40 win in the state semi-finals game. The team will play for a state championship tonight at 8:30. (Abigail Padgett photo)

Once again, the Pantherettes made magic on the court. This time they performed their basketball tricks on the campus of University of Texas at the Frank Erwin center against Houston’s Cypress Falls (64-40) earning a trip to the 5A State Finals today against Spring Dekaney.

Overall, the ladies passed, shot, dribbled and just played the game good. How they played is just about every Coach’s dream and definitely for Coach Self Morgan’s 907th win.

“This is great and very exciting for me and the girls,” Self-Morgan said. “ I just ready to win it all tomorrow.”

If you’ve never watched the girls perform their magic tricks on the floor you would wonder how they make opponents point disappear. Considering the fact that the Pantherettes limited Falls to scoring one basket in a semi finals state basketball game, the 12 girl magicians don’t have any secrets.

Advancing to the State Finals game with a score of 64-40, the girls simply play efficiently and effectively.

Just like about every other game, the Pantherettes curtsey of junior Post Kiara Perry won the tip off. Perry is important part of the Pantherettes defense and acts as a rebound machine every game.

Another aggressive player is none other than sophomore Aerial Atkins. Practically every game, Atkins goes unto the court notably fearless, being the first scorer and the UT Austin court didn’t slow her down.

Cypress Falls put up a good fight in the beginning. UNT signee Loryn Goodwin led some good plays and even had some good shots. However, when the first quarter was over with the score of 22-11, excitement died down and both sides could feel how the game would flow.

Sophomore Tasia Foman also did a remarkable job, nothing out of the usual. Foman had defenders crossing at the ankles driving through the paint, knocking down free throws and three’s.

Her upperclassman senior teammate Morgan Bolton did just as good. Bolton had the crowd standing up it feet, amazing both sides as she made her defenders dizzy swirling all the way around to the goal numerous times.

Another key to the Duncanville defense is junior Antionna Robinson. Robinson makes her presence known as the tallest on the team. This game Robinson managed steal and a chance at a shot off of a fast break. Although she missed the shot, Robinson showed her versatility and that she can handle the ball.

“ I was proud of the way that I played, ” Robinson said. “In order to win the state championship we just have to play strong and have good defense.”

When senior guard Alisha Spearman gets in the game, she also managed a few points and got her teammates energy. No matter when Spearman gets in the game, she always gets the momentum up.

Of course we had Empress Davenport. Davenport might have felt comfortable, playing on the court she would be playing on the next four years at a UT signee. Empress had a few three’s, knocked down free throws, and somewhat made her opponents tremble when she stepped up her man-to-man defense. The thing about Davenport is she is an outstanding leader from her team. She plays with her heart on her sleeve as you can see when she’s frustrated and when she’s excited, but the only four year letterman on the team, she is undoubtedly the backbone for the Pantherettes.

Our girls aren’t the tallest players out on the court, but they are definitely some of the smartest. Their guards aren’t weak nor is the post area. The only thing you can say derogatory and the game was the number of fouls in the game. However no Pantherette even made it past 4 fouls against Cypress Falls. The Pantherettes have been making magic happen all year, making it look smooth, easy, and natural just like the basketball magicians they are. As they enter the State Championship tonight, nothing should stand in their way of claiming it all.

Follow us on twitter @pantherprints1 as we cover todays championship game live.