Marching band and High Hats begin competition season with multiple wins

Drum Majors and high hat captains proudly accept their tropes at the close of the Plano Marching contest. (Karla Estrada Photo)

The drum majors left the field at the Plano East Marching Invitational at Clark Stadium their hands were full of trophies as their first debut of the show “La Mer”  including the band and high hats was named as Grand Champion of the entire contest.

“The kids were fantastic,” director George Townsend said. “It was a very successful day.”

The show  “La Mer” consists of an oceanic theme including challenging music and complicated marching techniques. The show captured the audience with a battle between waves crashing into each other. The High Hats danced and were gliding though the field with their new teal shimmery dresses, giving the show a deep sea effect. The show consisted of  dramatic tempo changes to create the mysterious side of the ocean. Many of the drills replicated the ocean with wave-like formations.

“We got everything out of that contest that we wanted to,”director David Brandon said.

The audience was shocked by the reveal of the show. Bands and color guards from other high schools complimented members for it.

“We had lots of directors come up to us,” Brandon said. “They were just wowed by the show.”

The band is off to a good start for the competition season ahead of them. This is one success out of hopefully many.

“This was the first contest, and it was a learning experience especially for our young students,” Townsend said.

2014 Prelims Awards: 

1st 6A Best in Class

Outstanding Winds

Outstanding Percussion

Outstanding Marching

Outstanding General Effect

2014 Finals Awards: 

Outstanding Music Performance

Grand Champions

Jon Davies Memorial Spirit Award