DFW’s Haunted Houses provide thrills

Viewers can expect something like this from Cutting Edge. (photo credit to Dallas Morning News)
Viewers can expect something like this from Cutting Edge. (photo credit to Dallas   Morning News)

In the season of scares and haunts, what better way to enjoy October than going to a haunted house. How about taking a walk through the dark woods with only a flashlight, or entering an 100-year-old abandoned meat packing plant.

Here’s a guide to where some of the scares are happening close by:

• Cutting Edge Haunted House located at Intersection of I-30 & I-35 1701 E. Lancaster Ave., Fort Worth, Texas 76102, is a dark attraction in a meatpacking plant filled with terrifying live actors, amazing special effects and incredible monsters. Celebrating its new Guinness World Record as the “World’s Largest Walkthrough Haunted House” and voted the “Scariest Haunted House in Texas”, this intense, multi-story, multi-themed haunted attraction is full of chilling detail and unbelievable scares!

• Reindeer Manor located at 410 Houston School Rd. Red Oak TX, 75154 has 3 different haunted attractions, The 13th street morgue, Dungeon of Doom and the original Reindeer Manor, each with terrifying visuals. The chilling environment of the attraction is due to the fact that no one truly knows if Reindeer Manor is haunted or not, after all the tragedies that happened on the abandoned mansion, you can only be left to imagine.
  • Thrillvania Haunted House Park located a bit farther than most but worth the visit at 2330 County Road 138, Terrell, Texas 75161, has 4 different attractions with nearly 50 haunted acres. They say a house cannot be haunted unless it has a history and according to legend, Verdun Manor was the home of a werewolf, Baron Michael Verdun, and his vampire wife, Lady Cassandra. Visit if you dare Verdun Manor, then for real fun, swing by Lady Cassandra’s Labyrinth of Terror where your fear of clowns will become a reality. Then try and pass by Sam Hain’s Trail of Torment, leading up to Thorn Hall, where the scares will make you wet yourself.

• Haunted Shadows Lake Trail is located on an overgrown tract of trees and native grasses at 7801 North Main (Highway 423), 3.3 miles north of Highway 121 in The Colony, Texas. Haunted Shadows is a self-guided journey of over one mile through the woods and weeds along the shore of Lake Lewisville, but there is no strobelights, no black lights, just the dark, terrifying woods and the wind rustling through the trees, the snap of a twig from a footstep, and the moon shining off the lake. Each group is given a flashlight to negotiate the trail and to illuminate the various creatures that inhabit the Haunted Shadows Lake Trail.

And lastly,

• Hell House located right next door to Duncanville at Trinity Christian Church in Cedar Hill, Texas. Hell House was first opened in October of 1991 and is a creative alternative to the traditional haunted house. It is a dramatization of real life situations. This year there are 7 scenes, with the walk-through taking an estimated 45 minutes. A tour guide will guide you through the maze-like walk-through. Each scene will give you a look into the real life issues that we deal with everyday. Hell house is not meant for children under the age of 13 for there are guns, blood, violence, intense scenes, and disturbing images.