Volleyball finishes season with close sets against top teams in district

The varsity volleyball team played to the end growing together each game. Most of the team will return next year. (Jordan Bell photo)

With only one game left in the season the Panthers are looking forward to becoming better for next season. This past week they went up against the Midlothian Panthers and Mansfield Tigers. The Panthers have improved a lot since the beginning of the season, these past two games they have definitely proved themselves.

Friday night, they started off strong and gained many of the points through many of Midlothian’s errors. They unfortunately were not able to earn enough points and ended set one, 16-25. In the second set the Panthers believed that they could beat Midlothian, they placed the ball well and backed up their errors. I made an excellent game to watch, unfortunately the score didn’t reflect their hard work, 22-25. After the upsetting lose the  girls, kept their composure and played hard in set three, 18-25.

“This team is beginning to look like a varsity team now,” head coach Lyn Evans said.

Tuesday night after coming off of an exciting game the Panthers came into the match with the excitement and energy from Friday’s game. They were serving to a spot, not a person, and put the ball when the Tiger’s weren’t. This worked in their favor, but a few little mistakes worked in the Tiger’s favor ultimately, 22-25. However, in sets two and three the Panthers make many errors and were returning to their old ways. Serve receive and serving cost them both matches, 10-25 and 7-25.

“It’s really frustrating as a coach to see what you are capable of, but you don’t consistently do what you need to in order to win,” assistant coach Amber Hughes said.

Come out to support the Panther’s at their final game of the season at 5:30 at South Grand Prairie.

Sub-Varsity

During Friday’s match against Midlothian, the Panthers did not show up. They were out of sync and were not communicating with each other. Their on court tension showed during both matches , 22-25 and  12-25.Tuesday however they improved themselves and were able to dig balls by talking, pursuing the ball,and serving aces,but it just wasn’t enough 22-25. During match two they were able to catch back up after beginning in a hole by keeping the ball in play, it also wasn’t quite enough 18-25.