Band redeems self with 7th place at state level competition

Senior Shanya dancing to the La Mer show. (Cynthia Rangel Photo) 

Tuesday morning the band and high hats headed to San Antonio to take the field in the UIL State Marching Competition. They arrived at the Alamodome. They showcased their show in the preliminary and final round before being named 7th place.
“I was so nervous,” said high hat Kayla Owens. “I wanted to make this performance my best one.”

The band’s performance of “La Mer” took the field at 3:45 for the prelims performance.

“I’ve been waiting 3 months for this moment,” high hat director Kristi Beaty said.

After all the performances, finals announcements listed the 10 out of 37 bands that would continue to finals. Many Duncanville students held hands hoping they made the top 10. The bands would be called out by performance order. After the first five were announced tears streamed down many faces. With one more band left, the band was still holding on to a small chance of making it to the finals.

“The final band that will take the field at 10:45 is…Duncanville HS,” the announcer said.

Duncanville was screaming with pride. Tears steamed down faces and many hugs were given. The band had place 8th place out of 37 bands.

“Oh my gosh all the energy just drained out of me when i heard it,” Red drum major Monique Stanford said.

Stanford was so grateful that the band had made it to finals after the past year’s disappointment. The band wanted to redeem themselves and make their supporters proud. State was the moment to make it all count. They said they couldn’t be more proud of themselves.

“It’s not about the gold around your neck,” Senior and band president Preston Jaynes said. “It’s about the gold around your heart.”

Conference 6A Finals Results

1

Marcus HS, Flower Mound

2

Hebron HS, Carrollton

3

Johnson HS, San Antonio

4

Bowie HS, Austin

5

Reagan HS, San Antonio

6

The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands

7

Duncanville HS, Duncanville

8

Coppell HS, Coppell

9

Flower Mound HS, Flower Mound

10

Keller H S, Keller