Volleyball team looks to improve in off-season after developmental year

The varsity volleyball team played to the end growing together each game. Most of the team will return next year. (Jordan Bell photo)
The team hopes to improve their record next season after ending with losing record. (Juan Escalante photo)

This past season has been rough for the Panther volleyball with winning only one district game they have a lot to improve on during the off season. Unfortunately three key players will be graduating and won’t be able to assist the team next season. With the majority of the team being underclassmen there is a lot of hope for the upcoming season. Five sophomores and one freshman made up half of varsity this year; this is unusual, as varsity teams consist of juniors and seniors.

“This year we are in training,” head coach Lyn Evans said.

When Coach Evans said this to her team, she was letting them know mistakes are inevitable because they are young with little experience, but it’s not an excuse to make the same mistake repeatedly and to not get better. It was a transition period for the program; the team needed to gain experience to grow before next season.

“We need to move on from this season and look forward to next season,” sophmore Jessica Bell said.

When the coach can’t get through to the team, they rely on the team captain to get through to their fellow teammates. The captain is supposed to be the leader of the group weather it is in their performance or through their relationship with their teammates. No one stepped up to the plate and as a result they weren’t able to lead their team to multiple victories, that could’ve been easily won.

“This year we were heavily lacking in leadership,” Evans said.

The coaches and players are currently working hard in prepration for the upcoming season. They are trying to improve their play quality by doing jump training, ball handling, and weights.

“We need to have a sense of urgency,” Evans said. “The little things will make us better.”

The team looks to the state championship basketball team for inspiration. They prove that discipline pays off. The volleyball team is willing to do whatever it takes to reach that level.