Panthers looking to move past SGP with Friday matchup

Senior Christopher Smith drives to the basket in a tough loss to South Grand Prairie during the first round of district play. (Cynthia Rangel photo)

This season for Duncanville basketball has been a success overall. But the work is nowhere near done, there is much more to accomplish. The Panthers are currently 22-7 overall and 4-3 in district. Sitting in 4th place right now, behind Desoto (6-1) Cedar Hill (5-1) and South Grand Prairie (4-3). With a win over South Grand Prairie, Duncanville can move into 3rd place. and with a pair of wins against Cedar Hill and Desoto at the end of their district schedule they could make a bigger move to the top of the seeding.

Duncanville is very capable of beating all three of these teams. For this to happen their play must be consistent. In a recent loss to South Grand Prairie, Duncanville’s defense was great in the first quarter, only giving up 10 points while scoring 18. Then the second quarter came and the switch flipped with the Warriors coming  back and scoring 26 points while Duncanville only scored 15. This cannot happen in order for Duncanville to pull out these district wins and take a shot at splitting this district with DeSoto or Cedar Hill.

The offense for Duncanville has been very good this season. They score plenty points which is great and it really helps. They have the ability to come back from a 12 point deficit in under two minutes if they put their heads down and work. They have great hustle and they won’t quit on you.

On the defensive side of the ball, they’re good as well. They have some rough patches and some holes, but it wouldn’t take any major changes to fix it. The guards usually play pretty off of ball handlers which can end up in a rain of threes for the opposing team if Duncanville hasn’t looked at the scouting report. The big men on the team also need to get a bit more physical.  I’ve noticed Duncanville doesn’t grab as many rebounds as they should and they give up lots of offensive rebounds. This is one of those rough patches.  They must play a bit more physical or at least match the physicality of the other team.

Duncanville has been a lot better team this season. They have picked up the solid wins against Grand Prairie, Midlothian and Mansfield which gives then a solid stay in the playoff hunt.  As long as they find ways to keep shooters open and keep scoring when they go to the basket, they’ll be fine. The defense will fix itself and the paint players will buckle up and handle their business. The Panthers are a big threat to finish out the regular season strong and push a big playoff run. The district needs to really watch out.