Student group raises awareness about leukemia

HOSA students sold cupcakes to raise funds for Leukemia awareness. (submitted photo)

After spending weeks to help raise awareness about Leukemia, HOSA students George Martinez, Yasmine Issa, Emily Sears and Yoselin Villa will present their project at the HOSA contest Friday.

“We have worked very hard on this project over the past months,” Martinez said.  “We are looking forward to presenting our results to the judges this week.”

The group started  working on the project before Christmas Break, selling brownies and cupcakes for $1 each, as well as selling chips and candy and will continue to sell the items until their final contest. They have also designed T-Shirts they are selling as well as showing the movie “My Sister’s Keeper,” a movie that depicts a person suffering from Leukemia.

“The basis of the project is to make a scrapbook that shows pictures of the activities that we have done to help raise awareness over our topic,” Martinez said. “We’ve tried to also get involved in the news to help us spread more but haven’t gotten responses yet.”

Although the students have already raised an abundance of money so far, their goal is $500. They hope to reach the mark by  Friday with their t-shirt sale. Each student has also been promoting the cancer awareness and t-shirts on their social media profiles to advertise.

“We offered the movie night for free in an effort to raise awareness,” Martinez said, “However we encouraged those attending to donate $5 to help with our fund raising efforts.”

Anyone wishing to donate to the cause of raising awareness about leukemia can contact one of the student or stop by Mrs. Lewis room to make a donation prior to Friday.