Malone storms field with football team after remarkable recovery

With the help of his physical therapist and the support of Panther lineman Sami Awad, sophomore Storm Malone runs out on the field for the first time after a domestic violence shooting left him in a coma over two years ago with no hope of walking again. (Cynthia Rangel photo)

The Panther blowup helmet was full of energy as the players prepared to “Storm” out to the field for their game against Grand Prairie. Leading the pack was Storm Malone who coach Shane Rink said was wearing the “Lucky number 13.” With the help of his physical therapist, Malone ran full force in front of the team that has supported him in his journey back to the field after two years of extensive rehabilitation.

“I’m just really excited,” Malone said. “This is a dream making moment.”

Malone’s journey back to field he dreamed of playing on has been a long one. Two years ago his family was told if he lived he would never walk again after he was shot in the head during a domestic violence shooting that took the life of his mother and sister and left him in a coma. Malone had a host of family and friends on hand for the special occasion. Malone’s friends and family said they are proud to see him back to his old self.

“This has been truly a blessing to be able to see him interact with the kids around him again,” Storm’s aunt Sheritha Smith said.

Sophomore teammate Pierre Thompson said this was one of the greatest moments he has witnessed.

“We are so proud to see him overcome so much and be so strong,” Thompson said.

Over the past year Malone has been through many surgeries and says he is excited about the opportunity to take the field in a Panther jersey.

“It’s truly a honor to run out on the field again and feel like a part of the team once again,” Malone said.  “I never thought that I would see this day again. This is truly a chance from God. ”

This year is the first year that Storm has been back to school after his accident and he wanted football to be on his schedule because he still loves the game. He was excited about this night as not only a student but an athlete.

“Me being able to be a captain tonight is a huge honor,” Malone said. “This moment feels like a success to me.”

Storm also receives help from a personal therapist who has helped him accomplish his goals and get through a lot of physical and mental challenges in his life over these past few years.

“This has been a tough battle for Storm,” Megan Gilb said. “It hasn’t  been easy these past few months especially. He has been willing to get better and try to get through this whole situation to come out strong.”

Not only does Malone have supporting fans he has supporting family that would do anything for him. They all admit they are  proud to see him be back up and running again.

“This has only been a blessing, God has done nothing but blessed us through this hard time,” Smith said.  “We have overcame and gotten through it together as a team. To see Storm run out on the field tonight has truly showed us that God is good.”

The last time Malone took the field he was wheeled out to the field by his family and friends.  This time he is able to stand on his own two feet and run.

“I’m happy, I’m really happy to be able to do this tonight,” Malone said. “It makes me happy to be able to show my team how much I love them.”

As the students in the stands chanted “Storm,” and the tension built up on the sideline, Thompson made his voice loud and clear as he cheered for his fellow team mate.

“All I have ever wanted was to see is him run again and be on the team once more,” Thompson said.  “This is a dream come true.”