Community service deadline quickly approaching for seniors

Senior Amira Reeves participates in the high way cleanup hosted by student council to get her hours completed. (Damian McElwee photo)

With only 34 total days until the March 16 deadline for seniors’ community service, there are still students lacking the required credit.

“It’s difficult to fix “lazy”,” senior sponsor and Student Council adviser David Womack said. “I guess seniors think it will go away, or it will be excused, probably because they’ve been able to get away with things in the past, but this requirement will NOT be excused!”

To inspire students to complete the graduation requirement, a new policy is in effect this year. Students who complete their hours by the deadline will be charged $60 per prom ticket when they go on sale on April 7. Students who lack the requirement will be charged $75.

“Seniors have known about this since last August, so I hoped it would motivate them to take care of their graduation requirement early, so they could relax a little bit during the 2nd semester and focus on their grades and not have to cram their weekends or spring break doing community service,” Womack said.

There are several opportunities for seniors to complete their 40 hours. Options are listed on x2Vol.org; teachers are also offering the opportunity to volunteer before or after school. While it is necessary that students complete their hours on time,  Smith said students should earn the hours, rather than use immoral methods to get them.

“While encourage you to let students do their community service in your classroom before or after schools (such as filing, bulletin boards, cleaning), we would like to remind you that students are not to enter the hours while “owing” you more time,” principal Dr. Andre Smith said to teachers in an email. “Please do not double the time or tell the student that you will give additional time because they did such a good job. We are teaching life lessons here.”