Freshmen say “Yes” to challenge issued during special presentation

NFL player Keith Davis stands behind a freshman who he selected to done his Rose Bowl jersey and all 5 of the championship rings in front of his freshman peers during an assembly(Alisha Nichols photo)

His 6’0 285lb frame towered over the two freshman standing on stage as former UTEP football Star and Factor finalist Isaac Tauaefa gave them instructions to hold on tight to his weight bar.  The girls grabbed each end tight as he pressed them above his head and began to twirl them around in the air.  The crowd of freshman went wild as the girls faces peered around the auditorium from nearly 7′ in the air. 

“I think it’s important to reach out, and I won’t call these kids I will call them “young people,” former New York Giants Linebacker Keith Davis said.  “I think young people are moving very fast, and I want to make sure they are moving to the right direction with their academics, relationships, and just in their future dreams period.”

This was just part of what Davis had to say as he introduced his guest speakers NFL free agent Dominic Miller, and Tauaefa for today’s freshman class assembly at the high school. The program was dominated by the speaking of not only players that have played on the big stage but the ones that say their journey wasn’t easy.

“My beginning wasn’t the best, I felt like life was over to that I had lost everything,” Miller said.  But just like today when we spoke I had someone motivate me through life that stuck with me forever.”

One of the freshman student had the opportunity to come on stage to wear all five rings, and to receive a Rose Bowl jersey as well. Davis picked the smallest one in the crowd to get his point across that anyone can dream big and accomplish that dream.

NFL free agent Dominic Miller lifts a freshman up from the pushup position to demonstrate the size of a person's dreams. (Tomic Charles photo)
NFL free agent Dominic Miller lifts a freshman up from the pushup position to demonstrate the size of a person’s dreams. (Tomic Charles photo)

“I love when the young people that I talk to feel and know that they are not the only ones going through a tough time,” Miller said.  “It has taken a lot of hard work and dedication to receive the rings that I have received.”

Davis expressed his thoughts on the first half and second half of the game.  He shared his life story about the horrible things he has endured in his life.

“Everyday is not going to be a great day, there are going to be tough days, sad days, and even hurtful days,” Davis said.  “But these days are the days that build character and courage.”