District hopes flavor stations will increase satisfaction with meals

There are six flavor options for students to experiment and try on their food. All comply with the standards for nutrition which the district has to follow. (Image from the internet)

In an effort to increase student satisfaction with school lunches, the district has now provided seasonings in the cafeteria which students can freely add to their food to season it according to their own taste.

“We want students to enjoy their food so they will eat and have enough energy to perform at their best in the classroom and extracurricular activities,” DISD Food Service Director Donna Woodard-Thomas said. “Students spend a large portion of their time at school, therefore it’s important to provide nutrient rich foods to help them achieve optimal nutrition.”

The Chef Paul’s “Magic Flavor Stations”  are located where the condiments used to be stored. Unlike these condiments, that had to be removed because they did not meet the government’s health regulations, the newly provided seasonings are healthy and comply to the regulations.Students can reference the chart above the spices for advice for combinations. For example, if students were to eat green beans, the chart would recommend a certain seasoning for the best taste. Still, Woodard-Thomas encourages students to experiment and try all of the delicious flavors.

“A few students are using the flavor stations,” Woodard-Thomas said. “We hope in the future more will take advantage of this wonderful opportunity.”

This effort is just one of many that the district nutrition coordinators are pushing to increase students satisfaction with their meals. They will also bring samples of possible menu options, like 100% beef patties, to the upcoming Student Council meeting on December 9. Students who attend will have the opportunity to sample these options and provide feedback via survey.

“Our goal is to provide satisfying meals to the students,” Woodard-Thomas said. “Meeting with the student council  allows us to gain insight on our menus from a student perspective.”

Student Council is honored to lend their voices to the cause. President Esteban Andrade encourages his fellow classmates to come to the council with their comments, concerns, and ideas for how to improve the lunches. Student Council will relay these messages to those in charge.

“We are eager to hear from our peers and help the district with their goals,” Andrade said.

Both the district officials and student council share one common goal. They want students to be satisfied with their lunches.

“We encourage students to dine with us and share their opinions so we can provide the most enjoyable meals possible,” Woodard-Thomas said.