Panthers march for life at capital

Students from Duncanville join fellow texans in the march for life at the Capital. (Amie Kinard photo)

A vast sea of woolly hats flowed through the streets of Washington D.C., holding signs and raising cries for justice.  This was the procession of over 620,000 people of all backgrounds from around the country who were participating in the 44th Annual March for Life. For junior Daniella Salazar the event hit home since her mother was young when she gave birth to her.

“If she had an abortion I wouldn’t be here,” Salazar said. “She didn’t and she was here to take a stand with me against abortion at the march.”

The march is a rally featuring key members of the government, celebrities, former abortion clinic workers, and student speakers, followed by a two mile march around the capitol in the name of speaking up for those who don’t have a voice- chiefly unborn babies.  The march held Jan. 27 made history for being the first one ever to have someone from the White House attend.  Vice president Mike Pence spoke to the audience proclaiming, “Life is winning in America!” Other speakers had the crowd fired up including Benjamin Watson, Tight End for the Baltimore Ravens, and also the first black female republican ever elected to congress, Mia Love.  She gave a moving speech about her accomplishments in life, despite her challenging background as a first generation American in a rough neighborhood, all because her parents decided not to abort her.  She challenged the crowd saying, “My fellow Americans, we cannot accept what might have been”.

The march gave people a chance to interact with multitudes of individuals who we on same or opposing sides of the argument. They were all dressed up in hats and appropriate clothing, and you can learn more about it here.

“I love how this trip promoted conversation instead of conflict,” freshman Isabella Jarecke. “It helped me understand how many people actually cared about this issue. I also heard different viewpoints my peers have.”

Students from Duncanville left to right- Daniella Salazar, Amie Kinard, Isabel Jarecke

This event opened many avenues to educate others on our beliefs and opened us up to even more concepts- on life, differing political views, and conflict. Overall the main theme that governed this event was unity and love. The trip also allowed students like sophomore Jacqueline Munoz to meet new people.

“I was able to meet people  who had the bravery to choose to be pro life and go to the march,” remarked Jacqueline.

“The event also helped me get closer to my faith.” freshman, Isabel Jarecke said.

During the march students showed their Texas pride by waving huge flags representing their state.

“WE LOVE BABIES, LOVE THEM ALL.  WE LOVE BABIES, HOW ‘BOUT Y’ALL?,”  we chanted.  

The chants from our fellow Texans prompted laughs and interactions with other groups from northern states that were marching for the same cause.  People from all over of all nationalities and races, men and women, filled the streets.

“It felt good representing Texas because we traveled so far for just that day,” junior, Daniella Salazar said.  “It shows that people around the world care.”

The groups’ cries rang through the bitter cold as everyone celebrated the momentous historic event.  There was a dark actuality of the millions of children who get cut out of this generation everyday that

“This is not someone else’s problem.  This is my generation, my friends, my doctors, my scientists, my future and the future of everyone after me that is dying, and its time for me to do something about it,” – junior, Amie Kinard.

First they came for the Socialists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Socialist.

Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

-Martin Neimoller

Texas present alongside the Washington Monument