Q & A with girls Head Coach Cathy Self Morgan

Head Girls Basketball Coach Cathy Self Morgan is riding a 15 game winning streak into the Area round of Playoffs Friday night against Plano East. (Keria Jinks photo)

Sports Editor John Davila sat down with Girls Head Basketball Coach Cathy Self Morgan who will lead her Pantherettes into the second round of the playoffs Friday night against Plano East riding a 15 game winning streak to see how she looks at the playoff picture and her team’s success.

Q: What are your thoughts about finishing undefeated in district play?

A: I was pleased I was real pleased with girls. We had three goals and we didn’t meet our first two, which was to go undefeated and win all our tournaments. But the biggest one was to go undefeated in district. And win the next seven straight games that would give us a state championship. We arose to the occasion and got better and kept our chemistry. I’m real excited about going 14-0 and now we are looking to go 7-0.

Q: What are you expectations for playoffs?

A: To win.

Q: What will be the key for making a long run in playoffs?

A: Keeping our attitudes, our work ethic, our positive mindset and everybody playing together. And continuing to work real hard on the defensive end, on the boards and not turning the ball over. I think we can do it.

Q: what are some obstacles standing in your way?

A: We have one of the toughest regions in the state and we aren’t even rated in the top 10 which is fine with me, so we are kind of the underdogs because we shouldn’t have lost the six games that we did.

Q: what are you doing to prepare for having a long run in playoffs?

A: We continue to work hard. I want to say I believe that we do outwork our opponents. Again to keep our chemistry and keep a positive mindset.