• English SAT Wed in B137 from 3:15-3:45

• US History EOC Tutorials Mon & Wed 3:15-4:30 in B101

• High Hat tryouts, meeting in the Dance Room 11/29 @ 7

• Seniors will be taking pictures November 1st and 2nd. Make sure you have a $10 sitting fee

Pantherettes push past Allen to advance to Region 1 tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Zarielle Green pushes to the basket for the shot against Allen in the third round of playoffs. (Chana Stanley photo)

Gloria Ogunlade

Coach Cathy Self-Morgan and her Pantherettes are headed back to the Region 1 Girls Basketball Tournament again to face Bowie Friday night at 6 p.m. in Wilkerson Greines  after cruising to a 62-43 victory over the Allen Eagles in the Regional Quarter finals last Friday.

“Defense wins championships,” Self-Morgan said. “This team has to stay the course,”

There was no lack of defense on the part of the Pantherettes as they kept the Eagles behind them by more than 16 points throughout the second half.

“This team shows True Grit,” Self-Morgan said. “They stay the course.”

The Eagles stayed close to the Pantherettes through the first period of play even pulling ahead 11-9 with just over a minute left in the period. After a time out the Pantherettes scored six straight points giving them a 15-11 lead at the end of one. The Pantherettes put the throttle down in the second as they limited the Eagles to just three points in the second period and put together a 14-1 run themselves behind an eight point scoring drive from Zarielle Green. Allen would not get any closer trailing by as many as 20 during the second half.

“This team just loves to play together,” Self Morgan said. “They have great team chemistry.”

Hannah Gusters scored a game-high 22 points, including 16 in the second half while Zairielle Green finished the night with 14.

Duncanville (38-1) will play Arlington Bowie who is currently ranked Number 9 in the Regional Quarterfinals Friday. Look for live coverage information on the game here on our site.

About the Writer
Gloria Ogunlade, Editor in Chief/Writer/Anchor

I am a Senior and have been a part of the Panther Productions program for three years. In Student Media I have worked as a writer, photographer, and competed...