Performance hall to be named after Shines

Tom and Verda Shine have been a part of the Duncanville community for 31 years and Feb. 27 the high school perfomance hall will be named after them. (submitted photo)

Last year Dr. Tom Shine and his wife Verda retired  from the district. Feb. 27 the Performance Hall will be renamed the Tom and Verda Shine Performance Hall  in honor of  them.

“Many people around the country have a great idea of what Tom has done here, he and Verda both,” assistant band director Will Pitts said. “There are some people that need no introduction, but when you do introduce them it takes forever because of all the things they have done. And that’s the kind of people the Shines are.”

Senior Amada Estrada is looking forward to the naming ceremony of the hall.

“The Shines have given the whole band program a lot,” Estrada said. “Dedicating a performance hall to them is a way of giving back. Walking into the performance hall after it has been named after the Shines will be even more sentimental than walking into ‘just’ the performance hall.”

With over thirty years of service to the district, the Shines left behind a shrine of trophies and awards. Although these trophies and awards are all honors, sophomore Bradley Bowden who had both of the Shines as directors say they believe the legacy left behind will live on for years to come.

“It touches me because I respect them greatly and to have a performance hall named after them the school will always have a part of them,” Bowden said. “They left the greatest legacy for the greatest band.”

Dr. Shine said it is hard to put into words how he feels about the school district and the band program.

“We will soon have been in Duncanville for 31 years and this community and the schools in it mean everything to us,”  “We are so proud that our names will be associated with the performance hall and pleased to have been a part of this great band program for these 30 years.”