Gospel Choir ready for start up with new members

The Gospel Choir has started up again this year under the leadership of junior Cedric Jackson. (Allie Peregory photo)

If you walk into the Orchestra room Monday after school, you will hear rich harmonies and strong voices. These voices make up a group of diverse students that use their talents every week to praise God and share their faith by singing in the student led Gospel Choir.

“My goal is to minister to someone and to bring people to Christ,” student leader junior Cedric Jackson said. “That’s why I started the gospel choir.”

Jackson started the gospel choir last year, and had a total of twelve people at the end of the year. This year he is optimistic that the choir will be bigger. Jackson is even hoping to have a concert for the student body this year.

“I would love to have a concert this year,” junior Brittany Walker said

The gospel choir doesn’t have an adult director. Adults are at rehearsals for supervision. However, the choir is completely led by Jackson who loves his role as the choir’s leader.

“I was trying to find a place in life,” Jackson said, “and music was calming and something I enjoyed.”

And so the gospel choir was born, bringing with it a group of diverse students all committed to the same goal worshiping God with their voices.

“I like how it isn’t a specific group of people,” senior Ki’shara Fisher said. “There isn’t any discrimination due to talent.”

At their first meeting there were nearly 20 people present. Jackson admits however that only those who love what they do will stick around.

“We start out with a big group,” Jackson said “but only the people that are committed and that really have a passion will stay.”

The gospel choir is looked at as a sort of sanctuary for some students. However others just enjoy sharing their faith with others.

“I like the idea of getting to worship God at school,” junior Ashanti Cox said.

The gospel choir gives students the opportunity to use their talents no matter what their level of understanding music may be.

“Come join!” Fisher said. “It’s different from other choirs, and it’s a lot of fun.”