Fahey focused on developing champions as new baseball head coach

Coach Scott Fahey took over the baseball program this year with a young team. During a game against Denton, Fahey congratulated sophomore Tyler Ogle after a home run giving the team the lead in the game. (Heather Butler photo)

New head baseball coach Scott Fahey is no stranger to winning. He was part of the 95-96 Panther baseball team that advanced to the Regional Semi-Finals and played in the Regional Finals game as a senior in 1997.  Both his father and his brother have played Major League Baseball.  His father even coached in the World Series. Now he has the challenge of coaching a young Panther team to the playoffs.

“It was thrilling to be named the new head baseball coach,” coach Fahey said.  “I have aspired to become a head coach ever since I started coaching. Having grown up here and played here my whole life is the reason I am so excited about coaching this team.”

Coach Fahey was promoted to head coach last summer after coach Chris Anderson was named as the new assistant athletic director.

“Coach Fahey is a passionate teacher of the game of baseball that understands and teaches fundamentals of baseball as well as any coach I have worked with,”  Anderson said.  “Being a former player here he also has a deep understanding of the tradition of excellence our baseball program has shown through the years.”

Anderson also believes that Coach Fahey’s family tradition will be a strong guide for him as a coach.

“Scott comes from a baseball family and was a tremendous high school and college player,” Anderson said.  “This baseball background gives him an outstanding foundation and knowledge base to use to help develop the baseball players here.”

Coach Fahey has been around baseball his entire life.  While still playing at the high school level he also had the experience of seeing how the pros do things when his brother began playing for the Orioles.

“He came to my first game and supported me every step of the way,” brother Brandon Fahey said.

During his playing days and the years of being an assistant, coach Fahey says he has had the opportunity to play for and learn from many great coaches.  He has been able to observe the different coaching styles and see how players respond to way they are being coached. Sophomore Deonte Lusk said he likes the way he handles the team both on an off the field.

“Coach Fahey is different from any other coach I have had,” Lusk said.  “He lets us accept change on our own and does not force change on us, and I like that about him.”

Coach Fahey has the task of taking over a team that is very young and inexperienced at the varsity level.  For senior Johnathon Daily, he feels that it is the tough love the new head coach has that will help everyone on the team become successful.

“Whenever we mess up, coach lets us know it,” Dailey said.  “He didn’t doesn’t scream at us but he does let us know we made a mistake and teaches us how to fix them.”

Coach Fahey said that he wants to make sure the players know how important it is for them to be dedicated to more than just baseball to be successful.

“I believe we have to hold the players accountable for their grades and behavior,” Coach Fahey said. “The players are the ones who put their stamp on the team. A coach cannot go out and play, coaching is about guiding, developing, encouraging and motivating players to get the most out of their potential.”

Coach Fahey will be assisted by childhood friend and teammate Michael Fuller. They both have strong emotions towards their hometown and plan on helping to keep a winning tradition alive.

“I want to coach here, I believe in what this program and what the school district stands for,” Coach Fahey said.  “It is an honor to work with so many fine young men here at the high school.”