Panthers to face top ranked Euless Trinity in Bi-District playoff

Coach Jeff Dicus earned one of the biggest wins in his 4 years as head coach of the Panthers last week with a 35-34 overtime victory over Cedar Hill Last week. He is hoping to get another monumental win against number 4 Trinty tonight in Irving. (Abigail Padget photo)
The Panthers are looking to once again win their Bi-district championship game tonight as they face of against the Trinity Trojans who are ranked 4rth in the state.

Trinity is probably the most difficult obstacle the Panthers have faced so far. They are undefeated, with an overall record of 10-0. Their wins have been against good teams such as Colleyville Heritage and Grapevine. The Trojans come into the game with a 34-7 win against Irving MacArthur.

The Panthers have a bit of momentum themselves. They’re going into the game after defeating Cedar Hill for the first time in six years with a 56-55 overtime victory. This makes the Panthers a very dangerous team considering that Cedar Hill was also undefeated until last week. The morale of the team should be very high going into this game with a big win last week.

“Defeating Cedar Hill just added to the excitement,” head coach Jeff Dicus said. “It helps emphasize what we are trying to teach our kids about believing in themselves and that we can make big plays when needed.”

Senior quarterback Deandre Grimes had a spectacular game putting up 245 yards in rushing and completing 12 of 19 passes for 166 yards and 4 touchdowns against the Longhorns. Coach Dicus said he will need to maintain that rhythm to connect with his receivers and run the ball against Trinity.

“I think he’s feeling comfortable with what we are trying to do offensively and as far as being the leader of this team, ” Dicus said. “His performance has really shined over the past several weeks, but he can’t do all those things without ten other guys doing their job.”

No doubt the Panthers will have to be at the top of their game to pull a win against Trinity. The Trojans come into the night powered by a host of quarterbacks that all have over 200 yards on the field and a strong running back in Joel Kimpela who rushed for 197 yards last week against Irving Macarther bringing his year to date total to over 1,300 yards rushing. But Duncanville is a talented football team, with two strong running backs with junior Jaquan Cole coming in with over 1,000 yards rushing and senior receiver Jeff Thomas coming into tonight’s game with over 700 yards in receiving yards. There is no reason why the Panthers can not beat this Trinity team. Trinity will definitely put points on the board, there is no doubt about that. But the Panthers are a team that does not demoralize by going down a few points. They fight to the end and many times earn the win as was evident in their goal line stances against a state ranked Cedar Hill team last week.

“We’re going to have to get some stops defensively,” Dicus said. “I think our kids will respond and I think they’ll take this and continue the rise upward.”

Join us live here for the game