Panther football players sign letters of intent to play for universities

It was an emotional moment for Jeffery Thomas and his mother Monica when he signed his letter of intent to play for the University of Colorado. (Olivia Davila photo)

It’s the time of the year again for senior football players to decide where they want to go on to continue their football careers. Today was National Signing Day and eight seniors from the Panther Football team announced their decisions to play football and another signed up to fight for the country in the Armed Forces.

“The realization of a dream come true for nine of our players happened today,” head coach Jeff Dicus said.

One player is headed to a junior college, two are headed to Division II schools and five are going to play for a Division I school. Dicus said this is the most Division I players that Duncanville has ever produced.

“This is another day in the history books for Duncanville,” Dicus said.

Coming to a decision of picking a school is not easy as players and coaches admit they have to make a connection with the school or they can spend the next four years being miserable. Defensive tackle Malcolm McKinney who is headed to Midwestern Sate University visited the campus more than once to make sure he was making the right choice.

“The team chemistry was great,” McKinney said. “They loved me and I loved them.”

As an 18 year-old making this decision also hinges on their parents. Jeff Thomas is headed for Colorado State University and he admits he took every chance he could to get some motherly advice.

“He asked me a ton of questions and I helped him every chance I could,” Jeff’s mother Monica Thomas said. “I’m proud of the final decision he made.”

There was one player on the stage that is not headed to a college to play but is going to serve the country and become a Marine. The coaches felt it necessary to honor Ambrosio Hernandez in a way to show everyone how proud they are of him and wishing him the best of luck. Coach Gerald Woodruff got choked up while introducing him to the crowd.

“It hit the heart because of my dad,” Woodruff said, “It’s people like Ambrosio that allow us to do what we do everyday.”

The players will have many memories from playing at Duncanville and vow to never forget them.

“I’m never going to forget the Friday night lights in Duncanville,” McKenney said. “This will always be my home.”

Full List of Signees: Adam Butler – OT. Vanderbilt Commodore, Nashville, Tennessee, Jamaal Fears – DT. Alabama State University Hornet, Montgomery, Alabama, Ghafona Iduwe – DE. Howard University Bison, Washington D.C. ,Sammy Jenkins – OT. Howard University Bison, Washington D.C.,Gary Lewis – DB. Southern Nazarene Crimson Storm, Bethany, Oklahoma. ,Malcolm McKenney – C/WR. Midwestern State University Mustang, Wichita Falls, Texas., Jeff Thomas – WR. University of Colorado Buffalo, Boulder, Colorado., Montel Barree – DT. Lon Morris Junior College, Jacksonville Texas

Signing Photos below

[flagallery gid=202 name=Gallery]

Video footage of signing ceremony.