• College Fair in High School Main Street area April April 24 @5:30 pm

• District Art Show in High School Cafeteria April 26 from 6:30-8 pm

• Softball vs. Copperas Cove April 28 @ noon Hillsboro HS

• Softball vs. Copperas Cove @ 7 pm April 27 @ Hillsboro HS

• Spanish Club Meets Thursdays in Room K101 @ 3:05

• Saturday School is held every Saturday in the East Cafeteria @ 8a.m.

• Step Team Practice held every Wednesday in West Cafeteria @ 3:15

• Young Life meets every Monday in East Cafeteria @ 3:05

• EOC Saturday Bootcamp is offered every Saturday Feb 3 -May 5

• Free SAT Math Prep sessions every Saturday in February. See a Math teacher for details.

• Math Magician Club meets every Monday in Room M107

• ACT tutoring in B135 from 3:15-3:45 each Wednesday beginning January 31 and running through May 1. It is free.

Filed under Sports, Sports Columns

Freshman girl golfer first to advance to Regional Tournament in over 16 years

The consistent clack of golf balls connecting with metal resonated throughout the driving range. There was a light breeze that rustled the loose leaves; as well as, the ruffles at the end of her skirt. Regardless of the distractions, she stayed focus. This was her fourth practice this week, and she was determined. Each back swing and pointed toe, demonstrated nothing but perfection; however, in her perspective, there was always room for improvement.

“I know a lot of the girls that are competing at the regional tournament,” freshman, Kate Adleman said. “They are really competitive, but I feel like I have what it takes to play against them.”

Adleman first started showing interest in golf when she was six years old. While her brother and father departed to play the course, she was left at home with her mother, where they participated in “girly” stuff together.

“I’m not very girly,” Adleman said. “So one day I threw a hissy fit, begging to join my dad and brother, and she finally said ‘fine! you can go’.”

Her first swing was with her father’s clubs, and it wasn’t the best. However, it was enough to for her and her father to realize that this was truly what she wanted to do. So from there on, she continued to practice with her father until she became the golfer she is today.

“I have never been apart a girls’ golf team or individualist, where they have qualified for the regional tournament,” golf coach, Robert McQauid said. “The last time a girl made it to regionals was back in 2001, when I was still coaching at Mansfield High School.”

McQuaid holds a lot of pride within Adleman’s performance at her age and grade level. Despite not being able to qualify for the state tournament, he believes that this was a great learning experience for the freshman golfer to learn from.

“For a Freshman to qualify for Regionals is a big honor,” McQuaid said. “Being as young as she is, I hope that she learns from this, and encourages her to return for the next three years of her high school