Urban comes home for game day show

Urban comes home for game day show
American Idol finalist Tim Urban sang two songs to the hometown crowd during the Duncanville vs. Garland game. (Jasmyn Dixson photo)

He sat there with the light shining down on him, a big smile on his face. He wore a Panther jersey, just like any other student with school pride. Patiently, American Idol finalist Tim Urban waited for people to settle into their places at Panther Stadium for the Panthers vs. Garland game.

“It’s very weird to me to think that people are inspired by what they’ve seen,” Urban said. “It’s very humbling because I’m just the guy from Duncanville. It’s a lot to take in.”

Since Tim has been on tour with on local FOX network affiliates, and with planned appearances on ‘The Ellen DeGeneres Show’ and ‘The Late Show with David Letterman,’ his visits home have been scarce.

“It’s really cool to be home. You know I thought a lot about home when I was out I thought a lot about the different things that I missed about home.” Tim said. “[But] I’ve gotten to meet a lot of people! Alicia Keys, Usher…Obviously Simon! They’re all great.”

Tim played a special half time performance for the Panthers, in which he sang “Come on Get Higher” by Matt Nathanson and “Hallelujah” by Jeff Buckley.

“I felt grateful since he of all places came to our school. And I will cherish this one memory when Tim was singing and I got to bond with a few new friends,” senior Allison Hernandez said.

Before the performance though, a select few were invited to a special tailgate party.

“I think it’s exciting! I mean it’s good to have a celebrity who is one of our own, and I’m glad that he and his family and his representatives have decided to spend time with us and show us the importance of home. I think it’s a great thing for him and a great thing for us.” Superintendent Dr. Alfred Ray said.

Aside from music Time admits his family is important to him as well. He is the sixth of ten children and his family admits it was interesting watching him on the television.

“It was a really crazy and incredible journey to watch him we’ve been listening to him obviously for a long time and watching him on American Idol was just surreal.” Tim’s sister, Becky Urban said. “Watching him grow as a performer, watching him grow in his interviewing skills and just getting to see other people seeing the character that we’ve known was really neat.”

Although Tim’s family has the memories of his growing into fame, the students still have something special to remember too.

“It was unreal to see him in person after watching him on American Idol! It was nice to see everyone around me enjoy Tim Urban as much as I did,” senior Cristina Orozco said, “I know [people] for a fact enjoyed it! Everyone around me was singing to all of his songs, and it was something I’ll always remember about my senior year at DHS!”

Tim’s brother, David Urban who serves in the U.S. Air Force, is also proud to see his brother perform and be successful.

“I’ve always been telling people, remember the name Urban because it will be famous,” David said. “I’ve been saying it for years. I didn’t know it was going to be Tim although I kinda figured it might be.”