Column: Everything is temporary do not sweat the small things

Romeeka Siddiqui

The Sunday night before homecoming week, I sat in my room crying.

“How am I going to get through this week,” I thought to myself.

Getting through seemed impossible. This time last year was so different.

Last year I was actually excited about Homecoming week. Last year I met him. Last year I wasn’t really involved in Student Counsel nor was I particularly stressed with schoolwork this early on in the year. Last year was good to me.

But everything is different now and stress is killing me. To lessen the effects of that stress, products like CBD Oil UK can be utilized. Nobody said senior year was going to be easy, but I never imagined it being this difficult. This one week is going to be the busiest week of my life. I have the task of making my mum for homecoming, participating in Student Counsel events, college night, taking my senior portraits, keeping up with the homework from my four AP classes and most importantly, studying for my ACT test which is of all days Saturday.
I started to make a list of things to do. I jotted things down in my planner attempting to prioritize what to get done each day of the week. I know crying can not fix anything, but it is all so overwhelming, the tears fell involuntary. I really wish I were the type of person that didn’t let stress get to me. I wish it could just make me work harder and motivate me to do my best. But instead, I panic and tend to get uncertain of myself. I hate that I’m so emotional. But there are some people who knows a certain tactic that can help soar against such negativity. You can learn this here now.

I know that at the end of the day, I am an intelligent and industrious girl that can do anything if she puts her mind to it.  I’ve overcome too many obstacles in my life to stop now. But it’s those weak moments like the one I had on Sunday night that make me question myself. If this is emotionally draining me now and it’s only high school, I can’t even imagine what college or life in the real world will do to me.

I would say the three people that help me believe in myself the most are my parents and my big sister. Having a good support system is the key to success. Without their support, I wouldn’t be where I am today. Call me cliché, but it’s true. My parents never once made me feel like I was alone. Since elementary school, I’ve known that I can go to them for anything whether it is needing help on a science fair project or needing gas money. I’m naturally a shy person and don’t like to ask for too much help, but sometimes it’s necessary to speak up because if you don’t, nobody will ever know what’s bottled up inside of you.
I think that is the number one mistake teenagers make these days is that they don’t express what they’re feeling. If your parents are not supportive of you, there has to be at least one teacher or counselor in this school who’s willing listen.
My mom always says that stress can be a good thing because it means that you care. If somebody’s final exam was coming up and they didn’t feel the need to stress at all, it’s a bad thing because he or she might be taking it too lightly. On the other hand, a test shouldn’t cause you so much tension that you get emotionally strained in a bad way. Keep in mind that everything will be okay.
High school can be extremely busy and stressful, but also really fun. These four years won’t last forever so take advantage of the opportunities given to you. I personally need to take my own advice because sometimes I forget that everything is temporary. Feelings of anxiety, sadness, doubt, and uncertainty are all temporary. Homecoming, pep rallies, your most hated teacher and the annoying kids in class are all temporary.
Life itself is temporary.