Penny Pageant gives a glimpse of Hispanic culture

The dancers wore traditional costumes in their performance. (Photo by Olivia Coldhado)

The student sways her hips melodically to the colorful rhythm of the Latin music. Her partner spins her towards the crowd before bringing her back to his chest with such a twisting force that seems almost painful. Their uniform movements are tight and crisp, but when separate they become they move just as fluidly. They face each other, arms flowing from their side to their heads and hips twisting and popping in a fashionable arrangement of culture.

On October 15th the Spanish Club hosted The Penny Pageant, a celebration of Hispanic culture, in Shine Performance Hall. It was a mix of education and art.

“I do believe it is important to celebrate everyone’s culture and celebrate diversity while including everybody,” Spanish teacher Lastenia Dehooker, who coordinated the event, said.

The show contained a variety of talents such as traditional hispanic songs, dances, and the story behind them. Dehooker especially appreciated the quinceanera portion.

“The quinceanera symbolizes a young girl’s growth into womanhood,” Dehooker said. “It is a time to celebrate life.”

Students who participated wanted to display their heritage, as they are proud of it.

“To me, this event opened doors,” senior dancer Luis Carrasco said. “People got to see my interests and understand my music. It was communication.”

All participating students identify themselves as Hispanic, but that is an umbrella term including many groups of people from many different places. Parts of the cultures are similar, while others are different. The students gained exposure to these different aspects.

“It’s important to know we are different,” freshman Manuela Gutierrez, who is Columbian, said. “I get to see how they know to dance in their culture while I’m dancing how we do in mine, and it’s just so unexplainable.”

The students created something that Dehooker feels is very valuable.

“I have enjoyed working with the students,” Dehooker said. “I really want the students to have the opportunities to do something for themselves. I want others to value their language, tradition, cultures because it is part of their identity.”