Personal Column: Escaping abuse

Lissette Lopez, staff writer

Fear. Fear was in my eyes, my mind, and at that exact moment, fear was everywhere in sight.

I saw my mother standing there frightened and shaking. She had blood everywhere. I didn’t know what to do. I got up and walked over to her. At the corner of my eye I saw my father walking towards us. He grabbed me, and told me never to speak of anything.

I was seven at the time, just a kid. I was so scared and I didn’t know what to think. I ran into my brother’s room and grabbed him. He was crying because he was woken up from all the noise he heard. Soon after I heard the ambulance in front of my house.

I saw my dad running through the back door. I followed him, but he was nowhere to be found. I came in and looked in my living room. It was like a tornado came in. Glass was everywhere, and the chairs and sofas were upside down. My mom came and put me on her lap, the police came and asked what happened. What she told them practically changed my life forever.

“I was in the living room waiting on my husband to come home. He finally came in at 7:45 P.M. drunk.” My mom said. “I confronted him and it turned into an argument. He put his hands on me then it turned into a fight.”

She explained and explained. Finally the paramedics came and told her that she needed to go to the hospital right away because her jaw was broken. She was instantly taken to the hospital to have surgery. Later on she had to get braces because of her broken jaw.

My mother was going to be taken away from me. I didn’t want to leave her sight, but I had to. Tears were running down my face, I tried to stop the paramedics from taking my mom away from me. But they finally took me out of her arms and I went with my uncle.

Being a seven year old kid and having to experience abuse towards my mother isn’t a good thing. It can scar a kid for life. Still to this day as a fifteen-year-old girl I remember the horrible treatment my mother got. For thirteen years my mom dealt with abuse from my father, and I heard it all.

It was the scariest thing of my life, and I hope nothing like that will ever happen again. I still think about what happened that day. I remember everything. I will never forget. But after everything that happened, it still didn’t break my family.

The incident that happened between my mom and dad brought my little brother and I so much closer to her. Now, my mom and I have an unbreakable relationship that she believes is a bond between us. I will always be by her side no matter what because nothing like this is ever going to happen to us again.

We got away from the abuse, and it has been great. We sometimes look back at what we’ve gone through together. We forgive, but never can forget. Life has gone on, and I realize life is better without my dad.