Penny Hotter sure to be thrilling for the student body

Those attending the theater department's Halloween show Penny Hotter are sure to see a thrille with witches and ghouls. (Ana Monzon Photo)

Ghouls, goblins, and candy won’t be the only thing that students will be talking about over the Halloween weekend. The annual Halloween show, “Penny Hotter” will give them just what they want when it premiers Oct. 23 in the black box theater. but with an added addition—a haunted house!

“My theater two class has been working since the start of school and this event will be really cool. It’s very scary!” Director Lucy Russell said.

This year students can get more for their $6 ticket as there will be an added haunted house as well. Playgoers will enter through the Performance Hall front entrance, go through the house and then be seated for the show.

“It feels really awesome to be in this show because Mrs. Russell always does such funny plays.” sophomore Nenad Vukovic said, “I like working with everyone, and just being able to get to know everyone.”

The actors and actresses have been working diligently after school from 3pm-7pm for the past couple of weeks to make sure that the play is ready for opening night. Senior Marcelina Villarreal says she has worked hard to over come her ambition to just get the play moving faster as she works with her other cast members.

“It’s very busy because this play has a lot of stuff going on but it’s fun. It’s a challenge, but I like challenge,” senior Marcelina Villarreal said. “I’ve gained patience, a whole lot of patience working with this show.”

The play will even incorporate recently popularized tunes such as the “Bed Intruder Song,” but with a twist, to entertain the audience. Mrs. Russell says this is one of their department fund raisers and she would love to see a big turn out for the play.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun! It’s going to be scary. It’s going to be fun for everyone!” Russell said.

The show will run from Oct. 23-28 and then the final show will be Oct. 30.

“There’s not a show on the 29th because we hope everyone will go out and support the football team Friday night and watch us beat Mansfield Timberview!” Russell said.