The Panthers return from the Mike Nesbit Tournament

The Duncanville tennis team went to Waco on Friday and participated in the 13th annual Mike Nesbit Tennis Tournament. The Panthers were going up against some stiff competition from all across the state. Some of the schools there included, Georgetown, Abilene Wylie, Waco Midway, Midlothian, and Texas High just to name a few.

Senior Jocelle Rudico took first place in the singles division over Flour Mound Marcus in a close three set match that lasted over two hours. After the match she said, “It was a really good win and I’m just trying to prepare for regionals and get a seed.” Sophomore Gavin Beach played boys singles and won first place as well. Gavin also beat a player from Flower Mound Marcus in a third set as well. The only difference was Beach dominated the third set and didn’t let his opponent get one game.

Senior, Eric Shimomura and sophomore Austin Gula took 2nd place in the Boys B Doubles division and seniors, Weston Hill and Cedric Ambulo took 5th place in the A division. Senior Selena Facundo and sophomore Daejia Lynch took 4th place in the Girls A Doubles division. Junior Kris Vasquez took 2nd in Boys B Singles with a tough loss to the number two boy from Flower Mound Marcus.

The team finished 4th overall in the tournament. This is the first time that a team has finished in the top ten of the Mike Nesbit tournament since the team started playing the tournament over 8 years ago. The team has another tournament coming up on Thursday in College Station. The Woodlands and Georgetown are two of the toughest teams in the tournament. The Panthers are getting closer to district and they’re trying to rack up the seeds for the tournament and prepare for regionals.