Tennis advances to Regionals

Senior Rebecca Vega goes for the ball in a match against Cedar Hill. (Karla Estrada photo)

Throughout the tennis season, Tennis Coach Trent Sellers said he  worked on finding the best rotation of players for many areas on the court after losing over 20 players from the team to graduation last year.  Now Sellers feels pretty confident in his team going into Regionals this Friday saying  this is one of the most improved teams he has ever coached.

“I’m so proud of their dedication and endurance through a long season. I knew we had a chance to advance past Area if they played well,” Sellers said.   “Thankfully they really hung in there in the semis and pulled it out to advance to Regionals. We already are in the quarterfinals which hasn’t happened in Duncanville in 11 years!”

The team is coming off of a sweep of district with an undefeated season and some tough wins in the Area round of matches. Sellers says this year’s regional lineup is quite impressive.

“We are already in the Quarterfinals and this hasn’t happened in Duncanville in over 11 years,” Sellers said.

Senior Captain Kris Vasquez said he wants to see this team take it all when it comes to playing every match to their fullest potential.

“I personally always talk to my team. I like to get them determined and focused to win.” Vasquez said. “Go hard or go home, like a always say, but this time it actually is go hard or go home.”

The team is set to play Regionals facing off against either the  #2, #5, or the #9 team in the state in the first round of the tournament. Sellers said he is trying to make sure his team knows they can be winners.

“Confidence that they can win over higher ranked teams is key,” Sellers said.  “We just need to believe we can do it and go for it. It should be fun.”