Pantherettes remain humble on verge of 100 straight wins

The Pantherettes enter tonight’s playoffs one win away from number 100 straight. They take on Killeen Harker Heights. (Karla Estrada photo)

The Pantherettes enter tonight's playoffs one win away from number 100 straight. They take on Killeen Harker Heights. (Karla Estrada photo)
This year the Pantherettes have given the home crowd some thrillers winning games by 30 or more and very few by less than 20. The arena they play in week after week is named by the Legendary Sandra Meadows who coached for Duncanville 25 years, recording an amazing 743-120 record. She is one of the most successful basketball coaches of all time. She also lead the Pantherettes to four state titles, including three consecutive titles and the last 134 game winning streak.

Coach Cathy Self-Morgan is on pace to catch Meadows’ record of 134 straight wins as her and the Pantherettes enter tonight’s first playoff game looking for win number 100 straight. After defeating No. 2 Manvel, No. 3 Flower Mound Marcus, No. 4 Arlington Bowie, No. 5 Galena Park North Shore and No. 7 Southlake Carroll this year, the Pantherettes find themselves only seven wins away from recording the third straight title.

Coach Self-Morgan said she has been blessed with great basketball players during her career with the Pantherettes. She has been successful on the court over and over again. Although the team is closing in on win number 100 they continue to stay humble in their approach to every game.

“We just stick to our motto ‘Stay Hungry and Humble,” senior Tasia Foman said. “We just want to encourage each other on and off the court.”

Self-Morgan said the group of girls she coaches day in an day out are extraordinary and make coaching fun.

“These girls work hard every day,” Self-Morgan said. “They want to win.”

As the Pantherettes approach the number 100, Self-Morgan said she doesn’t look at this like most people.

“Our goal has always been to get the next win not to get 100 wins,” Self-Morgan said. “Right now we want to win the next seven games and get another State Title.”

Self Morgan said she has the highest respect for her mentor Coach Meadows.

“I look up to Sandra Meadows. 134 wins is phenominal,” Self Morgan said.

Duncanville’s last loss came in the Collin County Roundball Classic in 2012. Plano West handed Duncanville a 58-50 defeat — its only loss during that 40-1 season. Senior Ariel Atkins remembers that game like it was yesterday.

“I was very angry and upset that night,” Atkins said. “But that loss put the fire in us to get to this point and not lose another game.”

The Pantherettes will face Killeen Harker Heights tonight at 7:30 at Hill Junior College in Hilsboro