Students Receive Hispanic Heritage Youth Scholarships

DHS Students Receive Hispanic Heritage Youth Scholarships.

DHS Students Receive Hispanic Heritage Youth Scholarships.For 16 years, the Hispanic Heritage Youth Scholarship awards have honored Latino high school seniors who excel in the classroom and community and for their focus in Business and Entrepreneurship, Community Service, Education, Engineering and Mathematics, Healthcare, Innovation and Technology, and Sports and Fitness. Approximately 10,000 applications are collected from qualified juniors who are honored in the categories, three students per category in each of the 10 regions, as seniors in the fall. Four Duncanville High School seniors have received the scholarship awards in three different categories.

Esmeralda Aguilar received a gold medal and a $3,000 scholarship in the Business category; Carlos Mayorga received a silver medal and a $1,000 scholarship in the Business category; Sonia Saldivar received a silver medal and a $1,000 scholarship in the Community Service category; and Samantha Vail received a bronze medal and a $1,000 scholarship in the Innovation and Technology category.

These students intend to use their scholarship money for living expenses when they start college next year. Esmeralda plans to attend Texas Woman’s University to study nursing, Sonia is deciding between the University of Texas- Austin and Southern Methodist University to study civil engineering, Carlos plans to attend the University of Texas- Austin to study business, and Samantha’s dream colleges are Yale University and Stanford University for civil engineering studies.

Congratulations to these outstanding DHS seniors! Watch a clip below to hear their reaction to finding out they received the scholarship award.

Below is a video created by Duncanville ISD Communications Department